Saturday, December 20, 2008

Terrible Scare

Mike is finally on holidays, so I am glad to have the help here, and the moral support. This morning we had a terrible scare though. Cody came into our room at 6am, which is his custom, and said, "Mommy, you wanna cover me up?" I did not want to get up to put him back to bed because I knew he would not stay there anyway, so I said no. Then I said, "Cody, go back to bed." He said okay, and then he left. Well, I fell asleep again, and Mike and I did not wake up until 8:30am when we heard Jamie fussing in the monitor. I could not help but be amazed that Cody would actually have gone back to bed and slept, but he has been very tired lately, so I figured it had finally caught up with him. I was in the bathroom and I heard the dogs (we have an extra dog right now) restless in the kitchen so I asked Mike to get up and let them out. Then a minute later I heard him calling Cody frantically and he came back into our room and said, "Where's Cody?" I said, "He's not in his room?" and he said no, and his voice was so panicky. He was running all over the house shouting Cody's name loudly and I hurried out to join him. Cody was not in his room. Mike grabbed all the blankets from his bed and tossed them off, in case he was under them. He was not. I joined in the search. Cody was nowhere, and was not responding to our frantic shouting. We opened the doors to look outside and I was getting a nightmarish feeling in my stomach. You have to understand that we are in Manitoba, and this morning with the wind chill it was -40 degrees outside, with deep snow as well. I knew that if Cody had gone outside he was in serious trouble, if not dead. I didn't know where else he could possibly be. When I looked out the front door there were no footprints in the snow. I asked Mike if there were footprints at the back door. He said no. We did another sweep of the house, and did not find Cody. Our shouts were getting louder. I said "If there are no footprints, he cannot be outside." Still, Mike threw on his jacket and boots and was about to leave when I saw something on the couch. That is to say, there was a patch of lighter blue fabric about the size of the palm of my hand in the crack between the back cushion of the couch and the cushion that you sit on. It was Cody's pajamas. I said, "Wait, he's in the couch!" I whipped the cushion off, and there he was, laying there unmoving, mouth hanging open and completely unresponsive to our voices. For a brief moment I was terrified that he had suffocated in there. But then I saw him breathing and realized that he was just having a darn good sleep there in the couch. I could not believe it. I was so scared that he was dead, or even that someone had stolen him, though we live in the middle of nowhere, so that didn't seem too likely. Either way, we were SO relieved when we found him. We used to have child-proof handles on our door knobs, but Cody knows how to get them off, so now I am afraid that some day he will leave the house without us knowing, and in this climate it is very dangerous. Even in the summer it would be scary. We have 80 acres of bush here, and it is easy to get lost. There is a lot more uninhabited bush adjacent to us as well. Now I'm wracking my brain for ideas to make sure that he can never leave the house without us knowing it. Talk about scary. I really thought we had lost him. I am thanking God profusely for my family today.

No comments: