Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Me and My Buns

The week is going all right so far. This could potentially be a challenging day for me because Mike will not be home until after the boys are in bed. That means no breaks for me, and I have been somewhat exhausted lately. It will be interesting to see how everything goes. Jamie is sleeping right now, and Cody is watching his show before lunch. I am actually in the process of making buns. Hm.

As is typical of me, I did run into a small crisis at the beginning of my bun-making crusade this morning. I started before 9 a.m. in order that I would be able to complete my project by early afternoon, but soon I discovered a significant problem. I already had my yeast rising in the warm water, sugar and salt, when I discovered that I did not have enough flour for my recipe. Great. So, I then wondered whether to run to the store for more, or not. I figured that a big bag of flour would be much more expensive here at the Co-op than in Brandon so I was not really thrilled with that idea, plus I did not relish the idea of taking both boys to town when I am completely disheveled, as usual. So, I went downstairs to the freezer to see whether we had any more in there. (We keep our flour in the freezer as it is supposedly better done that way. I guess it keeps it from going bad and keeps the bugs out or something.) Well, we had a bag and a half of flour down there, but it was whole wheat, and I was making a white recipe.

Getting to the freezer was an ordeal in itself. We are in the process of finishing our basement, so we have most of the walls framed, but not drywalled, and there are piles of lumber and boxes all over the place. Many of the doorways in the framed walls are blocked by stuff, so I had to go through the actual wall itself. As it turns out, I barely fit through the boards now. I'm telling you, give me another month and I will not be able to get in and out of the storage room unless Mike kindly unblocks some of the doorways down there. Yikes.

Anyway, I talked to my sister and my Mom and it turns out I can make the buns with some whole wheat flour and some white, so I am doing an experimental process today. Usually, experiments that take place in the kitchen do not go well for me. Either way, it looks like I will be messing with dough until the cows come home. I have not even punched it down yet, and after that it will still need to rise for at least an hour and a half again once I form it into buns. Should be interesting. I'll have to report on the final product, if there is one. I don't have much confidence in my bread-making skills as of yet...least of all whole wheat, which I have always understood to be more complicated than plain white dough.

At any rate, I am currently avoiding cleaning because I am overwhelmed with mess and literally do not know where to start in here. I better get going so that I can attempt to do something about that. I'm off for now.

No comments: