Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Life with a new baby

Today, Micah is 9 days old. I am slowly adjusting to life with three boys. Micah continues to be a good baby, and even did one six hour stretch between feedings last night and then a four hour one after that. Really I only had to get up once last night, it's just that I fed him at 4:30 a.m. and it took until 6:30 a.m. to settle him once again. Mike did that part, thankfully. Micah was really quite upset, and we have not had to deal with much of that so far, so it was a little bit rough, but I am still amazed that I only had to get up once to feed him. Of course I had to feed him again at 8:30 a.m., but that is nothing for a newborn so I cannot complain. Feeding him continues to be a painful process, but there has been marked improvement in the last 24 hours, so I am not nearly as discouraged about it. In addition, my Mom is here now, and that helps me in many ways.

Right now, Mike is gone with Cody to town. They left about ten minutes ago and will likely be gone until supper time. They are getting groceries and a couple of other items. Jamie is down for his nap, as of about 20 minutes ago. My Mom is now resting too, and Micah is sleeping in his bouncy chair. I would love to nap, but I can't do it yet because Micah will be due to eat within about half an hour. If he settles right after that, I will go to bed too. I am tired, but not like I was the day I came home from the hospital. I had the shakes so bad for a couple of days. Now I am up and about most of the day, but right now I could fall asleep sitting up. I am still very nervous to feed Micah, but I do believe that I am healing up and that he is getting better at it, so hopefully it will not be unpleasant for either of us for much longer.

Micah had a bath today, which was quite overdue in my opinion! I'm pretty sure we bathed our other babies every day, but they say not to do that. With Micah it has been closer to every three or four days, which is what the nurses said to do. He puked on himself really badly this morning, so I asked Mike if he would bath him. He went and got the bath stuff ready while I was changing Micah's diaper. Micah was really quite hysterical, but then when he was buck naked on the change table and I was getting his new diaper ready, he suddenly got very calm and relaxed. I knew what was coming next, but I did not make any move to prevent it. He peed all over himself and the change table. Hehe. Then he got REALLY upset, and was laying there kicking in a puddle of pee. We had to mop him up with paper towels and then send him off for his bath. Now he is fresh and clean, and wearing a very cute, brand new baby outfit. He just let out a little cry, but did not wake up. I am still so nervous to feed him!

Anyway, that's the update for now. I have no more energy to write any more at the moment. I'm too tense anticipating the moment when he wakes up for good and I have to freeze myself while he screams... Here's hoping I can be pain free within a day or two.

No comments: