Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My appointment

Well, I made it through my appointment with the ophthalmologist unscathed. Miraculously, when I got there the entire waiting room was empty. I mean, not a single person waiting. I didn't even have to sit there. They took me directly into an exam room, and Micah slept the whole time. Even though I was the only patient there, I still had to wait for the doctor. I could hear him on the phone in spanish in the next room. I was tense, thinking that if he didn't hurry then Micah would wake up, but he stayed asleep. The doctor was with me for about ten minutes, and he did not say anything rude this time. Lucky for him too, because if he had I definitely would have cried in my current hormonal and sleep-deprived state, and then maybe he would have felt bad. He was a bit baffled by my condition, especially when I told him that I had taken the liberty to begin treating the other eye when it got red and sore on Saturday. He informed me that it is very rare for it to be in both eyes, and I did not comment, but I have had it in both eyes before. He discovered that little tidbit when he looked back through my file. He also discovered that we had already done all the possible tests to discover why this keeps happening to me, and to no avail. So, he kind of shrugged and said that we would simply treat it and he would see me in eight weeks. (Oh joy. I get to go back.)

So that was my appointment. I went to three different places when I was done. I went to the gas station to fill up the van. Then I went to a health store to buy laundry detergent for the cloth diapers. Then I went to the grocery store to pick up a few items there. Micah slept the entire time, and all the way home til about a quarter of a mile away from our house. He was amazing. I was so thrilled and so relieved. I will be on eye drops for the next six weeks I think. Hopefully my next appointment will be the last one. I don't want to keep going through this. This is the third time I have had this happen in five and a half years...the second time in one year. It's not an eye infection either, or an allergy, or anything else common or normal. It's called iritis, or uveitis, and it is not a good thing to me. At any rate, at least it is not incredibly painful this time. It's good that we caught it early.

The three boys are crazy today. Micah is laying on his play mat, kicking his legs and now crying too.

Okay, that was about an hour ago. Micah is now sleeping in his bouncy chair and Mike is outside with the other two boys, building a play structure. I am doing laundry and considering starting my next round of homework, which is due on September 1st. Not that far away, really. I better get started, I guess. That's all for now.

P.S. This is telling me that this post did not publish, but I think it did. I don't know why it is doing this to me lately. I'm adding this line to see whether it works after this.

No comments: