Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My first day alone with three boys...

Well, so much for victorious mommy moments. Today is my first day alone with the boys, as Mike returned to work this morning. I would not call my day positive so far. For one thing, Micah picked last night to wake up every 2 1/2 hours instead of doing a five hour stretch and a three hour stretch. How wonderful for me. My first round of sleep lasted less than an hour and a half. By the time I fed him at 6:51 this morning, I was shaking with exhaustion. Fortunately for me, Mike did not have a full day of work today, so he didn't have to leave until about 9:30 a.m. He let me sleep in until 9:00, which was a life saver, though I still felt like crap when he woke me up with a crying Micah.

I fed Micah on my bed and Mike had fed the boys breakfast. Jamie was still in his high chair, so I was not too bombarded in my room, thank goodness. By the time I was done with Micah, Jamie was both of the other boys were done eating and were playing nicely, and Mike was gone. So far, so good.

When I came into the living room, I felt a sense of deja vu. There was cereal all over the living room floor. This time, it was rice krispies, and Jamie was the culprit. At least I get a bit of variety. There were also toys and other miscellaneous items all over the floor, and I decided that it was time for clean up, after I ate my toast. Cody started off well, and put some of his toys away. Things went downhill from there. He then began his usual "clean-up rebellion", which consists of telling ME to clean up, and him doing whatever he wants.

I had a lot that I wanted to do, including some baby laundry, so I strapped Micah onto me in the Trekker. (A baby carrier, for those who are unfamiliar with it.) He immediately began screaming, and I mean SCREAMING!!! Why is it that my babies never like the trekker?? I decided to ignore the screaming, despite the fact that it was less than six inches away from my ears and they were suffering terribly. I went about my business. I accidentally scraped his foot against the corner of the change table while climbing onto a chair to pin a blanket over the window. More screaming ensued. I felt horrible. Then I went to the laundry room. I had to bend over to pick up the laundry basket which was full of Micah's stuff. He screamed even harder. Okay, obviously he did not like it when I bent over, but I held his head so he wouldn't flop backwards, so I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. I assumed he would eventually give up and go to sleep. He did not. I got the laundry going, and after trying to do some clean up with him strapped to me and still hysterical, I listened to his cries to figure out the problem.

On a brief aside, I don't believe I have mentioned this in here before, but late in my pregnancy with Jamie, I purchased the Dunstan Baby Language DVDs online. They are created by an Australian woman who is a musical prodigy and has an amazing ear. Long story short, after she had a baby she analyzed babies' cries and after years of research discovered that in the first three months babies have five distinct different cries and each one signifies a specific need. There is one for hungry, one for needing to burp, one for lower gas pain, one for discomfort (ie: diaper issue, too cold, too hot...etc) and one for tired. I found it to be amazingly accurate with Jamie, and have been using it again with Micah. I wish I had known about it when I had Cody, as Mike always wanted me to feed him when he was crying a lot and I think we often compounded the problem because he would get fed when he had a tummy ache...etc.

Anyway, listening to him, I identified the discomfort cry, so I decided that he was clearly not comfortable in there and I should get him out and wrap him up so he could go to sleep. I took him to my room and took him out of the trekker and I was horrified when I saw that both of his legs were dark blue. I was totally cutting off his circulation and I was deliberately ignoring his hysterical crying. What kind of a horrible mother does that make me?? I was VERY upset, and massaged his legs until they looked normal again. I kept thinking, what if I had continued to ignore him for a really long time? I can't believe how horrible that was. I wrapped him up in a blanket and gave him his soother and he settled right away. I put him in his bouncy chair inside the play pen, which was in the kitchen, and then I got back to the cleaning and the battle field.

As is typical, Cody refused to clean up, so I ended up putting him in his room while I did all the work. I told him that if he cannot clean up his toys, he cannot play with his toys either. This did not go over well. He slammed the door, he screamed, he kicked the wall, he came out of his room repeatedly to get me mad. Then he would run and hide behind his bed if I so much as took a single step in his direction. It certainly succeeded in making me angry, but I refused to go in there after him. After a while he stayed in his room, until I started up the vacuum. Amazingly, I got the living room pretty clean, and soon it was time to feed Micah again, so I did. At that time, I think I had booted Cody outside, but he did not stay out long. Finally I told him he could play with his geo trax, which are in Micah's room right now, seeing he is not using it yet. Him and Jamie disappeared together in there while I fed Micah in the living room. I was uneasy about them being together out of my sight, given Cody's tendency to pick on his brother, but I decided to just let it go and if something happened I'd deal with it then. A while later, Cody came out of the room and said bye to Jamie. I could still hear a lot of shaking and rattling, coming from the exersaucer. When Jamie started to whine and complain, I asked Cody if Jamie was IN the exersaucer. He was. And he could not get out. Sigh. He would just have to wait for me to rescue him.

Now, there is finally some peace in the house. Cody and I have been battling for over an hour now, mostly due to his raunchy attitude. He is outside, at my insistence, but it has taken me about an hour to get him to stay outside. The first part of that involved him standing right outside of the door screaming at the top of his lungs. What in the world would I do if I lived in the city?? Micah is sleeping in the bouncy chair again, but it took me a LONG time to settle him there. He was very fussy, and puked a lot, as usual. I should be cleaning or doing my homework, but this is the first break I have gotten all day. I am exhausted, but I cannot nap because Micah will be up very soon to eat. It has been over three hours...the longest stretch he has done since yesterday afternoon. Maybe he is in a growth spurt.

So, I guess I better go and get something productive done. I hope Mike is home early today. He might be, but there are no guarantees of that. I was going to make a macaroni casserole this afternoon for supper tonight, but after I pulled out the ingredients I found that we were missing one. Macaroni. Hm. Guess that won't be working then. Too bad. I would have looked pretty good if I had done laundry, cleaned the living room AND made supper, on top of keeping all three boys alive, fed and somewhat looked after all day. Oh well. There's always tomorrow, I guess. This is only day one of the next four months. That's how long it will be until I get any kind of a break again. How am I going to do this???

No comments: