Monday, August 3, 2009

Tired, but holding up.

Well, I have been a bit out of the loop lately. I am very tired, and it is hitting me once again right now. It is almost 11 a.m. and I have been up since 6:30 this morning. I couldn't get Micah settled again until about 8 a.m. or shortly after, so I decided not to bother going back to sleep.

Last night was our best yet with Micah. We were all settled in bed before 11 p.m., and he woke up to eat again at 1:30 a.m. So, I fed him, changed him...etc., and got him settled once again by about 2:30 a.m. Oh no, wait, that's not right. He would NOT settle. I finally got Mike to take him because I had already been up from 1:30 til 3. Mike took him and apparently after 40 minutes, he put batteries in the bouncy chair and put Micah in it with the vibration on. He said Micah settled instantly! Then he did not wake up again until 6:30! Wow. So, even though I did not get to sleep until about 3:30, I still got three solid hours of sleep. It was good. Well, for me anyway. Mike couldn't sleep last night, so he is in bed now. Jamie is sleeping, and Micah is still asleep too, since 8 a.m. or so. I'm getting a little stressed about it, actually, because he really should eat again soon. It has been four hours since his second feeding, which was just shortly after 7 a.m.

Anyway, I am still finding feeding him to be incredibly painful, but I think it has improved ever so slightly because now all I do is yell and hyperventilate every time he eats instead of bawling my eyes out for about 10 minutes each time. That's progress, right?

Yesterday I took Micah to town by myself. We did a bit of shopping. I bought some Lilypadz to try out. They are nursing pads, but they stick to you, not your clothing. They are also reusable, so you don't have to keep buying them. They also do not show under your clothes, so you don't look like some kind of lumpy freak. I don't like regular nursing pads, and I hate the way they look and feel. These Lilypadz can even be worn swimming (not that I have anywhere to swim) and they also eliminate the need for a bra at night. Sorry if this is too much information, but I figure there are probably no men reading this blog other than my own husband, so you can probably handle it. I just thought it was an interesting product worth mentioning on here. I also got a new diaper cover, called a Bummis Super Brite. It is cute, and will be an important part of Micah's diaper stash. Once we get going on those, I am going to do some diaper reviews for anyone who is interested.

Anyway, I also bought a blue BumGenius for Micah, seeing I only had yellow and green for Jamie. I had intended on buying pink, but for obvious reasons, I will not be doing that. Haha. The blue is nice though, and as soon as Micah's cord stump comes off I look forward to trying the different diapers on him. We have already used cloth on him, as we have four Kissaluvs fitted diapers that have a special snap at the front so you can snap the front down and it does not irritate the cord stump. (Belly button, for those who have not had babies and don't know what I am talking about. The cord stump usually falls off within a week or two. I can't wait to get rid of it!)

The weather continues to be weird around here. Today the high is only 19, I think, and it is very windy. Some might hate it, for summer, but I love it. To me it is fresh and invigorating. I even did some cleaning this morning, and made some muffins. Okay, so the muffins were from a mix. The point is, I got out of bed and I did something. That was the first time since I came home from the hospital. Again, that is progress.

I am still crying a lot, but I kind of suspect that will be the case for a while yet. Yesterday, Jamie fell off a tricycle and gave himself a black eye. He came into my room and just stood in the doorway, mud smeared down one side of his face, crying with his big puppy dog eyes. Micah was wailing on my lap, and Cody was crying in his room across the hall. (I think he was in a time out or something...) I just looked at Jamie's sad face and I started crying too. So, poor Mike was the only person in the house who was not crying.

And speaking of Mike, he has been running off his feet. Not only does he take care of the older boys for me every day, but he cleans the kitchen and does the diaper laundry, and does the cooking... Yesterday he even baked buns again, and he also made hot fudge sauce in the evening. He was going to back cookies too, but he ran out of steam. So, my husband is awesome, in case anyone didn't know!

Today is officially one week after Micah's birth, so I now will be forcing myself to get more active. I know it sounds pathetic, but I am starting by committing to walking for at least ten minutes a day for this entire week. It doesn't sound like much, but it is more than I could have handled last week. If the weather gets nasty, I will pull out the treadmill. I will also be trying to nap daily, because I still need it. I am very tired even now, but Mike is napping, plus I will have to feed Micah soon. I wonder whether I should wake him up... Maybe he is just really satisfied now that my milk has come in. I don't mind him sleeping for longer stretches, but I do want to make sure that we get to a point where those long stretches are always at night. I'm sure it will take us a few weeks to get that all figured out.

Anyway, I am going to sign off for now. Just wanted to post again to let everyone know that I have not fallen off the face of the earth. I will try to post in here more now that things are starting to get back to "normal". My parents and grandma are supposed to be coming tomorrow to see us, and I asked my mom to stay if she wanted to. I hope she will. That would also help me a lot. I have been sad that she is not here during this time. So, hopefully tomorrow I will have some extra company! And now I'm off. I think I better check on my sleeping baby!!! Bye for now.

No comments: