Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Another day at the circus

My day has not gotten off to a good start. For one thing, Micah was up twice again last night, and even at 8 a.m. he wanted to eat again and it had not been two hours since his last feeding. I guess we finally have a normal baby who does not sleep through the night at two months old. Maybe it's because he was our smallest. I don't know. All I know is I'm tired.

At 6:30 a.m., Cody entered our room as usual and took my ipod out to watch YouTube videos of Lightning McQueen. At 8 a.m. when it was time to feed Micah (or so he told me, anyway), Cody refused to return the ipod to me. I was more than a little annoyed. For one thing, I was already over tired and had kidney pain all night again, plus weird stomach issues. I guess I was in a fragile enough state that it only took a small incident to tip the balance and put me right into a bad mood. You might be wondering why I was so insistent on having my ipod. The answer is somewhat embarrassing, but it may clarify why I was so mad. I use it to keep track of when I feed Micah, and which side I feed him on. If I don't keep track, I forget within about three seconds of being done a feeding. I guess for some of you who don't have kids or who have never nursed a baby you may still wonder what the big deal is. I could just wing it, but if I use the same side multiple times in a row I'm going to look like I'm part Dolly Parton and part Calista Flockhart, if you understand my meaning.

Anyway, I was really angry that he would not give it to me. He also ended up going straight into brat mode. It was probably because of my mood. Maybe when the balance tipped for me, it also determined which way his balance would tip. He has lied to me a few times today, which upsets me. I guess maybe he is getting to that age. He is officially three and a half. Is that when children start to lie? It isn't about big things. Well, not always, anyway. He told me he had used the toilet this morning before I got up. I talked to Mike on the phone and he confirmed that was not the truth. There have been a couple of other small things too.

Did I do a post in here yesterday? Now I can't remember. I forgot to mention that the night before last night, I got really domestic. I attempted a sewing project. I'm not really very good at all things "wifely", but I have always liked sewing. However, I have not done it since junior high, so I am just slightly out of practice. My mom bought me a whole package of microfiber auto towels for really cheap and it was my intention to make inserts for my diapers out of them. There are twenty in the package, and they only cost about $16, so they are pretty cheap. I figured with that many, I had some room for experimentation and I could afford a few screw-ups. I did not really expect them though. You know how sometimes you get this brilliant idea in your head of something you are going to make, and the finished product looks absolutely amazing in your mind? That's how my project was. Yep. I was going to make the best inserts ever, which were going to eliminate any of my night time diaper troubles. So, I picked the inserts that I already have that I like the best and I used them to cut the towels in the same length and width. I started with one, but I had a whole package there on the table and I fully intended to make a few. This was on Monday evening, when I had come home early from the Thanksgiving festivities, and I had settled Jamie and Micah.

It is now mid afternoon and I am just sitting down again. I do not have the time or the energy to finish my story. Suffice it to say, the insert that I made took about three hours and I ended up having to sew it by hand because it was too darn thick for the sewing machine. It is very ugly, but I hope it will be functional. The real kicker is that I put it in his diaper that night right before bed and as I did up his sleeper I noticed his diaper felt really warm. Yep. He had already peed. So much for finding out whether it is a good overnight insert. I fully intended to use it last night, but it was not dry enough yet after the wash cycle. So, it has still not been tested overnight. I wanted to make a second one, but I have homework due tomorrow and I have to get working on it immediately. I will eventually report back on the success or failure of my home made insert...assuming I ever get to use it. I must sign off so I can do some homework while Jamie still sleeps. This has been a crazy day.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

How's the insert? You sure have me laughing! I'm sure the finished product looks similar to my attempt at soft flannel nursing pads!!! I still use them, but not when I'm going out since they are extremely lumpy! haha!