Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Day of Shopping

Things have been a little crazy around here lately. Yesterday we went to the farm in the morning and the boys got some cousin time. I then left just after 12:30 p.m. to go to town to buy a used snow suit for Jamie. It was a Columbia jacket and ski pants and was in perfect condition. I was going to get it for $40 and the girl had paid $130 brand new. So, I drove all the way to town. It was okay though, because other than the snow suit I also wanted to pick up a couple of feather pillows that were on sale for only $6.99 each. Sounds like they are cheap and terrible quality, right? Well, I bought one a few months ago when I was nine months pregnant, and I love my pillow. So, I figured it would be great to have a few on hand. I also thought maybe I could get a decent shirt or two for myself, seeing my wardrobe is pretty much on par with that of a street person at the moment. I headed for the mall. The first thing I did was try on some clothes, but I had to do it ridiculously fast because Micah was with me and he was fussing. The change room was a flurry of shirts flying on and off with my hand popping the soother in Micah's mouth between each change. Discouraged, I realized that nothing looks good on me right now. I felt like a not-so-distant cousin of the Michelin Man. I managed to get a pair of black sweat pants that are actually flattering. Imagine that. I got another pair of lounge pants. Now I can alternate those with my three pajama bottoms and my ugly lounge pants and my yoga pants. I feel like a new woman.

Next, I headed for my feathered friends. To my dismay, I discovered that the store had run out and they would be restocking them on Wednesday. Wow. Two strikes. Okay, the clothes were only a partial strike, but still a strike seeing what I really needed was a shirt. I headed next to this girl's house to get the snow suit. I arrived at 2:27 p.m. and felt a little trepidation seeing she told me she would be home between 2:30 and 4:00 p.m. It was possible that she was not home yet. So, I parked the van across from her house and called her from my cell phone. A guy answered. I assumed he was her boyfriend. Funny I did not assume he was her husband. Maybe it was because he seemed completely clued out about her. It seemed he did not understand much of what I was saying to him. Frankly, I was having a little trouble following the conversation as well. In short, he told me she was not home yet. He was aware of the snow suit, but did not want to sell it to me without her there. He said she would be home in ten minutes. I was not about to sit there on the street waiting like a stalker because I don't even know what this girl looks like, so I told him I would be back before 4 p.m. to buy the snow suit. I left and went to my workplace. That turned out to be the only positive part of my trip. I did not see many people, but it was great to see the ones that I saw. I had a nice visit there and when Micah started to fuss, around 3 p.m., I left and headed back to the house, which I was beginning to dread. I called again a couple of blocks away and wouldn't you know it, she was not home yet. It was 3:20 p.m. I was upset. I asked for her cell number. I called it. She did not answer. I left a message. She did not call back. After some debating with myself, I decided that if I did not leave town immediately, I would have to find somewhere to feed Micah and I just didn't want to deal with it. So, I left town.

It was a discouraging day, and I was amazed that someone trying to sell something would be so rude about not showing up. She knew I was coming from 40 minutes away. I went for only that purpose. (I would not have made a special trip in just for a seven dollar pillow.) I do not know whether to try calling her again or not. It may seem silly, but I really want that snow suit. It is nice, and it is exactly what I was looking for for Jamie.

Today is not good so far because my older two boys are both in terrible moods. Cody has purple puffy bags under his eyes causing me to wonder whether he even slept last night. Jamie is already back in bed because he refused rather violently to have even one bite of his breakfast. All he wants is juice. We do not give our kids much juice, but today I said they could have orange juice. I poured Jamie's but he refused to eat. I told him if he did not eat he would not get juice. (This was after he already had a bit of juice.) My bribery did not seem to work. I might try him in his high chair again. I won't tell you what I am hearing in the background right now. Suffice it to say, I am going to have to sign off soon.

On a positive note, Micah has been sleeping through the night most of the week. I know it is only Monday, but I mean for the past week or so. Last night he did get up at about 4:40 a.m., but the night before he ate at 10:20 p.m. and did not get up after that until 8:18 a.m. No fussing of any kind in between. He has been that way for several days in a row. I hope this is it. Oh, and for the record, his cloth diapers are not leaking, even in these ten hour stretches! Yay!

Okay, really have to run. A few situations to deal with. Hopefully it won't be breakfast all day for Jamie. I'm off for now.

No comments: