Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fevers and Thunderstorms (Now updated about Jamie - 8:25 p.m.)

It is Thursday morning, though I feel like it is Saturday. It is very dark in this house and we are in the middle of a mild thunderstorm. It is pouring, as usual, yet in a way I am finding the thunder soothing. Jamie is in bed, sleeping, by his own request. His fever is still present, though we have not checked with a thermometer to determine his actual temperature. He ate a bit of breakfast this morning, with a frown on his cute little face. He said his juice was "yucky". That's not normal for Jamie. None of this is. We are left wondering; Is this connected to the stomach issues he had for two straight weeks? Is there something more serious wrong with him? Or is this just some unrelated virus that decided to kick him when he was down? No matter the answer, this really stinks. Both of us are reluctant to leave here, in case the other one needs to take him in but we are alone with all three boys. I wanted to go to town for a few errands today, but now...I don't know. Mike was going to go to work, even though he is done for the summer, to finish up a fence that was started as part of a project. No matter. It is too stormy and wet to do that anyway. I just want to go buy my Jamie a bunch of toys and movies to cheer him up. I know that's kind of silly, but that's what I feel like doing. I remember when I was in the hospital when I was 16 and I got a few presents that really lifted my spirits. And I was 16, not two years old. I just want to get him a really cute cuddly stuffed animal, or a fun movie for him to watch...or something. Something to make up for the gross few weeks he has had. Yes, it has been nearly three weeks. If I lived in town, I'd be at the store already. I feel like buying Cody something too. Something creative to do that will help quell the boredom that comes with too many rainy days of being stuck in the house. I know I can't just use material things to make everything better. But I feel like it. I want to. Maybe I will go in later if Jamie is feeling any better. This is just such a downer. He is already so small and now he has no appetite. I need more medicine for him too.

The thunder is getting more intense and we are definitely very close to the center of this storm now. Still, it is not a worrisome storm. Just a nice, summer storm. The only problem is, we have had way too much rain and we are getting close to being in danger of a flooded basement. We are praying that won't happen. We are also having such a bad mosquito year that it could almost be classified as a plague.

I just talked to Mike and he thinks I will have to go to town today for sure, to get medicine at the very least. If my own stomach were feeling good I would not hesitate to go. I have never been much of a shopper, but certain kinds of shopping can be therapeutic. Maybe I could go look at a saddle or something. I don't know. At this rate, we may not even get our horse until fall. The rain doesn't exactly allow for much fence building.

I am in the middle of disinfecting the bathroom...a chore that is long overdue. Now that Jamie's stomach troubles appear to be over, I really want to go over the whole bathroom with a fine-toothed comb. I already cleaned the toilet and washed the floor. I'm just waiting for the floor to dry so I can do the rest. Micah is getting restless and will want to eat soon so he can go have a nap. He is so cute it's not even funny. He has started walking on his hands and feet on occasion. Sort of a gorilla-like crawl. That's when crawling seems to slow for him but he doesn't want to take the time to stand up so he can walk. Hehe. I love my boys so much.

I'm going to sign off for now. I'm very tired. I could use a nap today, though I kind of doubt I'll get one. Hopefully I won't have any updates later today. No news is good news, right? I hope so. Well, I'm off to continue cleaning the bathroom. Bye for now.

1:55 p.m. I disinfected the bathroom too soon. Jamie has bad diarrhea again and has been in bed the entire day so far. He does not want to get up. We are taking him to a clinic in the big town nearby and very likely to the hospital after that. I strongly suspect he will need another IV. We do not know what is going on. I held him about 15 minutes ago and his fever was much improved. He is clearly not feeling any better, however, and refuses to take any medicine.

Oops. I got interrupted. I must post this now. Jamie will be leaving to see a doctor in about 15 minutes. I don't know what is going to happen. I'm off for now.

8:25 p.m: Jamie was admitted to the hospital this afternoon to be assessed. He was not put on an IV, though that was the original plan. I guess he was not dehydrated enough to merit the IV. They did blood work and once again found nothing. They did x-rays and checked to make sure he had not swallowed something. They found nothing. They checked for fluid on his lungs, found nothing. His fever eventually disappeared completely. He got chatty and happy. He is now home and can't sleep, so he's hanging out with Mike on the couch, chatting. Don't get me wrong, he is terribly grumpy if we try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do, such as take medicine. At any rate, he is doing well for the moment. My prayer is that he will sleep all night and have no further incidents. This has been a very tiring day, to say the least, and I'm not even the one who has been gone for five and a half hours. I will sign off now for the final time tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sending packages of hugs and kisses your way. XOXO Candy