Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Jamie's Night

Jamie took a turn for the worse last night. We thought he was almost over this bug, or whatever it is, but at about 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. he started barfing, and he did it at least every half hour until around 6 a.m., and by then it was accompanied by diarrhea. We changed his bedding twice I think, or was it three times? I don't know. All I know is, we were up from about 3:30 a.m. until around 6 a.m. when he finally fell asleep again. He was up again by 8:00 a.m. and had a sippy cup of water. Within about ten minutes he puked that all back out, first in Micah's room and then as I ushered him to the bathroom to finish up he shot it all over the floor and then stepped in it, slipped and fell flat on his back. My poor baby. I feel so horrible for him. Just to add insult to injury, I seem to be getting it myself, and I was not in the best condition this morning either, though I did not throw up or feel like throwing up. I called a doctor and we made an appointment to take him to the nearest big town with a hospital and clinic. I was going to take him, but then my body revolted a bit and so I sent Mike. That was before 10 a.m. He is still gone and it is 2 p.m. The doctor was concerned about Jamie (this is day eleven of this) and he is being assessed in the hospital. Right now he is on an IV to get rehydrated and apparently once he pees they will send him home. Not sure how long that will take.

I'm feeling very sad for my sweet little boy, and very stressed about the rest of our crew. I don't want to get this and I sure don't want the other boys getting it, or Mike either! We are so drained here emotionally and physically, and I'd love to go for a nap but I have Micah on the go, and Cody, who is being exceptionally well-behaved today. I can't even go see Jamie because I don't have the car seats for the other two, not that I'd want to take them with me anyway. I talked to Jamie on the phone briefly and he sounded so small and weak. He said something about puking on the floor, though I understand that did not actually happen at the hospital. What a nightmare. What must it be like for parents with seriously ill children, or worse, terminally ill children? I can't imagine.

Meanwhile, I'm so hungry and I'm scared to eat. I am snacking on some plain soda crackers. I'd love to eat, but after my morning I'm just too scared. Even these few crackers are making me nervous. I just don't want to throw up. The rest I can deal with. Hopefully I won't get like Jamie.

Well, this is kind of a downer of a post, but I'm too tired to add any more right now. I will try to post again with an update on Jamie tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am soooooooo sorry that Jamie had to go to the hospital, that is no fun at all. And my heart goes out to you that you were not able to see him, awwww, I am so sorry!

We have had to take Zeke to the hospital a couple of times when he had really bad asthma that trigged croup. It was no fun at all seeing him with a little iv and they had to put him in a tent with cool misty air, so I couldn't even hold him. He just pressed his little face up against the plastic tent crying, mamma, mamma, mamma! It was sad. But it did not last long, only one night and we got to go home.

So Cheryl, I empathize with you and I am thinking of you and Jamie that he gets better really soon, and that your heart will be at ease.