Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day two alone.

My second day alone with the boys did not go as smoothly as the first, but I survived it, and amid the tantrums and rebellion, I actually kept my cool. That alone made me feel like I had victory, so I am thankful. Last night was a bit stressful, but mostly psychologically. Micah was up with a nightmare at about 11:30 p.m. or so, so I dealt with that, but then I was afraid things like that would go on all evening and I would have a stressful night. I needn't have worried. That was the only incident and I had a pretty good sleep, despite staying up past midnight, which was extremely unwise. It goes to prove that there really is no sense in worrying. It is hard being the only parent home overnight because there is a heavier burden of responsibility on your shoulders. If someone has a nightmare at 2 a.m., you are the one who has to deal with it. If someone is up sick, same thing. There is really a sense of strength in numbers when both parents are present. Once again I am reminded of how difficult it must be to be a single mother. Or father, though those seem less common.

Today I kept the kitchen clean, for the most part. I stayed right on top of the dishes and had the table and counter clear, complete with a juice glass on each filled with water and daisies that the boys had picked for me. I held my ground and did not allow a single speck of TV. The fussing over this is getting less and less, though there is still much begging on a daily basis.

Mike came home much earlier than I expected, so I was very thankful to have him here again for bath time and bed time. He is now back outside again, working, so I still won't really get any time with him, but at least the boys got a little. I was pretty sure they would not see him at all.

So now I sit in my living room, alone again but feeling less alone, and being attacked my numerous mosquitos, even though I am indoors. Yuck. I am thrilled to say that the dragonfly population is finally starting to explode once again, as it does every summer here. They are huge, and do a fantastic job of controlling the mosquito population. Maybe in a few weeks I will be able to stand being outside again. I have not even set foot out the door since Friday. Oh wait, I did run out yesterday to check out the "growl" that the boys heard in the bush. Phew. So it's not as bad as I thought then!

I'm off to do a little reading until Mike comes in, or until bed time, whichever comes first. Only two days left on my countdown to summer. Then Mike is off and we can both have a break. Yay! Goodnight.

No comments: