Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tractor ride and two days away.

Tuesday morning, bright and early Mike did indeed load us by twos onto the tractor and take us through the swamp to the van. Cody and Jamie went first, and stood between Mike's knees so his arms were around them and hanging onto the steering wheel. He had already loaded our bags for us. Micah and I were the second load, and Mike had to hold Micah while I stepped into the dreaded bucket. Micah was terrified and wailed for me the whole time. Me, I was hanging on for dear life. I had to crouch in the bucket facing Mike, hanging onto this rusty metal hook and then he raised the bucket and off we went. The water got closer and closer to me as we sunk in deeper and deeper. It was eerie and nerve-wracking, and I got attacked by mosquitos, of course. We made it, and quickly got in the van and shut the doors. Mike passed us and went to work and we just stayed there for five or ten minutes swatting mosquitos like warriors in the van. Once we got a good percentage of them dead, I sat down and buckled up and we headed out.

We went to my older sister's place where we visited with my very special Aunt, who was visiting from out west. We rarely see her so it was really great to get such a full day in with her. The boys hung out with their cousins, also all boys, and my other sister also came with her baby. We were there until almost 8 p.m. if I remember correctly, and then I drove the boys over to my other sister's house where we spent the night. It was not the greatest of sleeps, but that's always the case when the boys sleep away from home. We survived, and we were there until about 4 p.m. when Mike called and said he was on his way home. Then we left and got home shortly after Mike did. Micah and I survived tractor ride number two, but barely. Poor little guy was terrified, and we came very close to getting stuck in the deep muddy water. Yuck.

So I am back today, and on my own because Mike will be late getting home. In case I didn't mention it, it rained both days I was gone and now this afternoon it is raining some more. The water is deeper still than it was when I left on Tuesday morning. It seems there is no end in sight to this stupid flood. It is nearly supper time and I am wracking my brain to think of something to feed my boys. I didn't want to make a big meal with Mike not home. We'll probably do something boring like grilled cheese or something. Yuck. Well, I won't be eating that, so I guess it doesn't matter if I don't like it.

Tomorrow is the last day of the week, so at least Mike will be home...oh wait, no he won't. Saturday he will be gone the entire day; first for a golf tournament (is it horrible of me if I hope it gets rained out?) and then for a staff wind-up barbecue at work that I likely cannot join him for because I am stuck here. How retarded. Maybe Sunday he'll be here? I have to keep telling myself this is the home stretch and he only has two weeks of work left. Two weeks feels like an eternity right now.

I can't wait until all the boys are settled in bed for the evening and I can relax. I hope to read or else watch a girly movie. For now, I better go check on Micah, who was just sitting in his high chair snacking on pudding. He should be done by now. Bye for now.

No comments: