Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Another painting disaster!

Today has been one of those "Go! Go! Go!" days. I got up just before 7 a.m., after a night of horrific sleep. Micah cried loudly from 11 p.m. until well after midnight. Twice (or was it three times?) I was up with him, trying to figure out the problem. I took him to the bathroom, just to make sure that wasn't the issue. The third (yes, it was three!) time I got up with him he was wailing that he wanted water. I got him the water. He said he would stop crying. I told him he was waking everyone up, which he did. He said, "Sorry." I thought we were done. But I was wrong. Cody ended up getting up and complaining about the non-stop crying. Jamie was up too, getting water and something else in the kitchen. It was horrible, and I was so mad! In total, I was up seven times last night. That's between 10:30 p.m. and 7 a.m. Not cool.

So I was up early getting Cody ready for school. Once he was out the door, I had to get the other two set up with a show so I could go shower. Then, mid-morning we were off to my sister-in-law's place to drop the two boys off so I could rush to town for my doctor's appointment. When I left her place, Jamie was bawling because he didn't want to be left behind. He practically chased after the van. I could see him in my rear-view mirror, just standing there in the driveway bawling. I cried too. I felt like the worst mother alive. Should I have brought him with me? I did consider it, but realistically, I knew it would not be pretty and I'd be far more stressed with him along. In addition to that, he likely would have had a similar attitude at the doctor's office, which would have been understandable, given his utter lack of sleep last night.

After my appointment I rushed back on time to get the boys home for lunch. Then I put another show on (I know: bad, bad, bad!) so I could paint another coat on the blue stripe on the boys' room. So I did, and that brings me to my next story of my complete lack of skill in the painting department. I had watched a few YouTube videos about painting rooms, so I could see the best methods of painting corners, and also how to paint stripes. One thing I learned was that it is best to remove the frog tape right away, provided you are not doing another coat. Well, this was the second coat, so I went ahead and removed the frog tape. It looked pretty good! It was not perfect, and there were a few areas where the paint had bled through slightly, though most were on the top of the stripe so they will get covered when we paint the next stripe, which will be darker yet.

Here's where I ran into problems. The frog tape actually pulled off several large sections of our new white paint. What the heck? The paint had been dry for days, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but wow, it certainly was! I couldn't do anything but cringe as I pulled the tape off. What in the world will Mike say when he sees how I have destroyed his handiwork? Just now, I looked up frog tape and guess what I found out? Apparently you are not supposed to use it on newly painted surfaces, even if they are dry. They have to be "cured", not just dry, which can take weeks. Wow. I simply don't have weeks. I wish I did, but I don't. So apparently there is another kind you can buy that is specifically for delicate surfaces. I guess we have to find some of that now and continue our project. Sigh. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like right now.

So in these first three, it looks not too bad, right? But then there are the next three...

It may be hard to see on here, but check the white paint just above the stripe. Can you see the huge section that ripped off??

These last two photos show the worst section. It tore so badly you can even see the original green paint through it. I don't know what to tell Mike when he gets home!

And now, my busy day is not slowing down any. I have to run and get Cody from the bus, and then I have to peel potatoes because I have a roast in the oven today. If it weren't for my painting disaster, Mike might actually think I was a rockstar today. Oh well. Nobody's perfect, right? 

No comments: