Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day one...

I wish I could say the boys' first night in their new room went smoothly. It didn't. I knew it wouldn't, because not only were they excited about everything, but Micah has never, ever slept in a big boy bed before. He was definitely a problem. He came out over and over again. He opened and shut their door repeatedly. He kept them awake. Finally, we moved him into his crib and he cried and cried until he eventually went to sleep. Then, Mike carried him back to his bed and he slept there the rest of the night.

That doesn't sound too bad, right? Well, it wouldn't have been, except that by 5:45 a.m. all three boys were up and their bedroom light was on. I was so angry. Why don't my kids sleep in when they're tired? It doesn't make any sense to me. So Micah used the toilet, but then nobody went back to sleep. Instead, they got very, very loud. They fought and cried. They played and shouted. Micah is only two and a half. I get it that he doesn't really understand about being quiet in the morning, though generally he is much better at it than his brothers are. Even Jamie, at four years old, can be somewhat excused for forgetting. But Cody is six, and I really don't see that there is any excuse for that kind of rude behaviour when people are trying to sleep. He is old enough to know better. He DOES know better. But still, over and over again he chooses to disregard everyone else and be obnoxious. I could handle this (somewhat) if it were 7 a.m., but NOT at 5:45 in the morning. In truth, I am at my wits' end, and that was the case before the new room too. It has nothing to do with them sharing a room, though it will be worse now because Micah will not be stuck in his crib anymore so he will be free to join in the mayhem. How old does Cody have to be before he finally gets it? If it takes our youngest as long as it is taking him, I'm guessing we're looking at at least another seven years, which would bring our total to fourteen. Fourteen years from the birth of our oldest kid to the time when we might actually be allowed to sleep in the morning. And I'm not talking about a sleep-in here either. Seven o'clock. That's very reasonable, is it not?

So today I am not happy. I am very upset. Grouchy. Not only did my day begin at 5:47 a.m., when I had to angrily lecture my kids, instead of letting my exhausted and very sore body rest just a little longer, but it has not gotten better from there. The boys have bad attitudes. Of course they do. They didn't get enough sleep. They broke their curtain rod this morning, so already the new room is desecrated. I knew it would be fast, but it was not even 24 hours after they moved in. Jamie poured sugar all over the counter, the barstool and the floor. He also used up almost the last of my cold drinking water for a dandelion. (We can't drink our tap water right now, and the big bottle had just been emptied.) Basically, I can't handle anything today, but there is a lot to handle. I have nothing else to say for today. I would love a nap, but that would mean allowing TV, and I can't justify it. Did I mention Mike is not coming home after work? At this point, I'm not even sure I'll survive the day. Here's hoping it gets better and not worse.

No comments: