Thursday, May 3, 2012


One thing I am not good at is waiting. I am waiting for many things right now, the most significant one is my baby, but I'm not even due until later in July, so it's going to be a long time. But I'm talking about waiting for something imminent, good or bad. Right now, I am waiting for a man to show up here to have a look at our land to see whether moving our house to the spot we want it is a possibility, and if it is, what we will have to do to make it work. I'm kind of uptight about stuff like this. I would really prefer if Mike were here too, but he isn't. So that means when this guy gets here, I have to leave the Dynamic Duo unsupervised in the house and haul my pregnant body up our steep ridge in the wet, 4 degree weather. Hm. Not really something I am anticipating with great excitement.

Worse yet is the fact that he did not say what time he would be arriving. He only said late morning. To me, that means now. But he might not even get here until 11:30 or even later. So, now I am in limbo because I feel like I can't start anything in case he shows up. The same thing happened yesterday, when Mike told me this guy had called him and would be here in an hour. (That was at 12:40 p.m.) So I ran around like a crazy person cleaning the house in case he had to come in to discuss things. Then, at 4 p.m. he called and said he couldn't make it after all and would come this morning instead. Ugh. The good news is, I got my house cleaner than normal. The bad news? Well, I had to put off the moment until today, which meant prolonging my tension and dread.

Dread seems harsh probably. But that's how I am. I overreact. I get nervous. I get stomach aches. What if he says we're crazy and it's totally impossible? What if he sees my ugly lounge pants and thinks I'm a slob? What if I fall on the ridge (it's steep) and look like an idiot? Do any of these things matter? Not really. Not to a normal person, anyway. But these are some of the irrational worries that run through my brain as I wait. And the longer I wait, the more frenzied they become. Did I mention I have to wear Mike's huge rubber boots because mine are missing? The possibility of slipping on the steep path is very real.

Anyway, that is what I am doing today, so far. The house is clean. The boys are dressed. Well, Jamie is in shorts and a sleeveless shirt and it's basically winter today, but I choose my battles. And Cody is at school, which means my battles will be less frequent and less intense, at least until 3:15 p.m. when he returns home. If I were not waiting for this guy to come, I would probably bake. It feels like that kind of a day. Why not? My kitchen is nice and clean, and the lights are on because it is dark and gloomy outside, so it feels cozy in there. That's perfect baking atmosphere. Cookies, maybe? Or a banana loaf? I'm not brave enough to start buns or bread today. I'm sure I'd run out of energy long before I was done. But it doesn't matter, because I can't bake until this man has come and gone, in case I have something in the oven and have to leave the house. Not going to happen. So I will continue to wait, and pace, and fret about ridiculous things, because that is what I do.

Phone ringing! It's him. He ("we"?) should be here shortly. Now my nervousness increases! I'm so neurotic. I have to go for now.


lindsayc said...

So what is the verdict on moving the house? Possible? Houses here get moved all the time. It's pretty common to also see houses get lifted and a new foundation put on which adds more floor area in a basement type area. Basements are the norm out in Victoria!

CAT said...

We are still looking into things. The building movers said it would be possible, but a lot of extra landscaping would have to happen because we want to move it up onto the ridge beside our yard, which is quite steep and there is no flat area on top. That means we'd have to level the top of the ridge, and because our land is very sandy, we have to get an engineer out to find out whether messing with the top of the ridge would render it too unstable to put a house on. After all, we don't want to move it out of the flood only to have it tip over on us. Haha. So we are still in the process of figuring things out. I will update as I know more. Apparently lifting the house will be just as complicated as moving it (this from the mouths of the workers themselves) so we would rather move it, if it's possible. The other factor, of course, is the cost. It's going to hurt us big time. But we'll see. It might be necessary.