Monday, November 5, 2012

It's moving day!

I guess it's more like moving week. On Saturday we found out we would be starting our move today. The weekend was an absolute frenzy of packing and preparing the land and the house. (It seems we keep finding out more things we need to do to be ready.) So yesterday we had to officially move out. We are at Mike's parents' place. My emotions are a bit of a mess. I am happy this is finally happening, but it was so hard to leave our house yesterday. I am more than a little bit stressed out about the move itself, and also about the logistics of dealing with my kids away from home, and arranging things with Cody's transportation to and from school. Last night was especially stressful because the boys would NOT go to sleep. They were up super late, and Mike and I were up even later, unable to sleep with all that is going on. It was past 1 a.m. before we fell asleep, and the boys all got up at 5 a.m. and began playing very, very loudly. I was so mad. Not surprised though. It didn't help that the time change was this weekend. Is there anybody out there who actually likes the time change? When will we come to our senses and vote it out for once and for all?

Today, the forecast is not what they were promising last week. Instead of sunshine and 8 degrees (Celsius), the high is only 4 degrees and they are calling for rain and ridiculous winds. Yes. That's what we want when our house is balanced precariously on a trailer. Our house with everything we own in it. All right, it probably won't be that precarious. But still. And it has to go up a hill. I may be off here, but it seems to me that rain + cold + high winds = slippery. Yikes. There are all sorts of "what ifs" running through my brain. I'm sure it is best not to think about it, but how can I not? Mike is supposed to call me later and let me know when would be a good time to go over there and check out what they are doing. I don't want to drag all the kids over if all we will see is some men walking around the house unscrewing screws and other such exciting events.

So that means right now I don't have an exciting update. If I am able to go there today, I will most certainly be taking my camera with me, and if there is anything to see (or report) I will update this same post later. For now, I'm off to continue battling the insanity here.

Just as an example of what my boys regularly do, less than 24 hours after arriving here, at the farm, they have already lost my flashlight in an impossibly small hole in the basement. It will never be retrieved. Well, maybe not never. I suppose it will be a time capsule of sorts. Years down the road, maybe even decades, someone will renovate that part of the basement and some child will find that shiny red and silver flashlight and be elated. Maybe the battery will even still work. 

No comments: