Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sleep for medicine?

Well, I did indeed go to another doctor yesterday morning. I will spare you the details, as it will turn into a rant. Suffice it to say, I waited a whole hour to see her even though I was third in line in an otherwise empty waiting room. She barely looked at me, and treated Lauren like an irritation. I have never seen a doctor react to a baby that way. At one point she handed me a wad of kleenex in a panicky motion. I thought it was for me, because I was coughing quite hard at that moment. It turns out she meant it to catch Lauren's drool. Seriously?

Oops. I said I would not give details so I will stop myself. After I left her office, I cried and cried, which hurt so badly, but I couldn't stop. I knew I would not get antibiotics, but I was in agony in my throat and ears and I naively hoped she might be able to do something to relieve the pain. No. I swore up and down I would not ever do that again. See a walk-in doctor, that is, for something I knew I would not get medicine for. But in spite of those very strong feelings, this morning I was tempted to go to the local ER for some help because I couldn't even swallow water.

The good news is, I slept like a log for most of the night. I don't know whether it was from the pain killer I took before bed or whether my body was catching up after five nights of tossing and turning. But I slept until 5:20 a.m. or so, at which point I got up long enough to use the bathroom and swallow some water, and some Advil. Then I went back to sleep until around 8 a.m. when I fed Lauren. As soon as she was done eating, I conked out again until about 11:30 a.m., at which point I fed her again. And some time after 12:30 p.m. I fell asleep again until around 3 p.m., when I had to force myself to get out of bed. I would fall asleep in a heartbeat if I could go to bed again, but I am here alone with Lauren and Micah, so that is not a possibility right now. Mike is at hockey with the boys.

Anyway, I know that's not an exciting update, but I feel extremely relieved to have slept, and I hope I can do the same tonight. I am still in terrible pain, and desperate for a solution there, but it seems there is none for now. I had this little fantasy that instead of prescribing antibiotics or other medicine, doctors prescribed sleep. Somehow they would induce a sleep for however many days your body would need to fight off the illness uninterrupted. They would put a patch of some kind on your skin through which your body would absorb nourishment during that time. Wouldn't that be great? When sick, instead of feeling the horrible pain, or fever...etc., we could just sleep until it was better.

And speaking of sleep, Lauren just woke up. So time to go feed her.

No comments: